Friday 7 June 2013

It's been Cold!



So if you live in Midwestern Ontario you will know that this has been quite a cool week. Temperatures in the 14-18 degree range. Well it's at times like these that I get in the mood to break out the comfort food and yesterday was the day. Jenna and I rolled out pastry and made a Rhubarb Pie. She walked to the garden and pulled out a few stalks of Rhubarb and I added a few strawberries and I had some apples kicking about so I even added an apple into the mixture. We baked it and the heavenly aroma filled the house, such a great smell on a cold day. We then whipped up some cream, put a dollop on top and the result was scrumptious! 

So you know how after making pastry there are these little bits of pastry left? Well I don't like to waste those so we took them and made little turnovers stuffed with apples and cinnamon. They may not look so pretty because the pastry bits were breaking apart but when I pulled them out of the oven and served them warm with whip cream and cinnamon no one cared how they looked:) If you are interested in the Rhubarb pie recipe I have included it down below. I have used this recipe for many years and have found it in an old Mennonite cookbook that I have.
Rhubarb Pie
Pastry for double crust pie
1 1/2 cups rhubarb 
1 cup strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsps flour
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp melted butter
Toss ingredients together with the fruit and put in pastry shell. Bake at 425 for 12 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake another 20-25 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love Rhubarb and have a bunch I need to use, thanks for the recipe Carolyn, I hope to use it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the Rhubarb pie turn out Elizabeth?

    ReplyDelete